Saturday, March 26, 2005

Seize the Chance!

Undeniably, we all are individuals of rich potentials, awaiting that single moment of awakening. Waiting for that one chance to unlock the festering force; one chance to prove to others and ourselves that we are indeed capable of something. But not all would receive their equal dose of opportunities in life at every stage, though rest assured, we will all have little moments of serendipity along the way.

What we do need to accomplish is to first know a given chance when we see one, and seize it thereafter and do the best we can. This week left me ruing my lost chances. They are not too life threatening, but i've got to bite the dust once more and learn from these mistakes.

Monday saw me taking an Appreciation of Situation [AOS] test once more, but the difference between this and the first test earlier on in CTC is the presentation of my plan immediately after. My success in my first ever presentation in CTC left me somewhat complacent with my presentation skills, hence i opted not to rehearse and to have lunch instead, which proved to be an error that would cost me dearly.

In any presentation, the key to success is structure. Structure comes when we are confident of the plan, and more importantly, when we know what to show of the plan and how to do just that. Success is inevitable when the necessary staff aids and their usages at every stage is rehearse in detail. In that light then, it's easy to see why i didn't do so well. 'Failing to plan is planning to fail.' Damn right about that.

But there's no point crying over spilled milk is there? I spent an hour after the test licking my wounds, which i thought was really dumb. So i shut off the lights and went to sleep. There are always chances to redeem myself, and that will be the knowledge test on Tuesday. I've got to look forward, not backwards. So i studied hard for the test and received a good pass.

Thanks to the little graces in life, my good pass in Tuesday's test did indeed cover up my lost ground made on Monday. It's a classic tit for tat story, and i'm glad i'm part of it, learning experientially in the process. Thus, Advanced Infantry Officer Course [AIOC] ended with a soft thud - I made great improvement from CTC with a full grade's increment, though the results are still below par.

My tutor was quick to point out that the 2 courses that passed - CTC and AIOC are really just 2 little episodes in life. There are larger things to accomplish out there. An immediate goal would be further studies, then a career, family and love life. Looking forward to those goals and doing well in them is more important, he said with a beaming smile. How true, but the only difference is that i'm in no way affected by the less than average results. I felt greatly enriched by the entire experience. There were so many lessons to learn, so many skills to master, and so many friends to make. I was glad that i was given this fantastic chance to make honest mistakes, and to know myself much better in the process.

The biggest mistake and lesson that i've learnt - seize the chance when you see one. Another one might come along, but that is simply hope, and hope is not a method of success. Do your best, but if your best is not quite enough, learn the lessons and move on to better things. Dwelling on yesterday and the present moment will be forever lost.

One thing i'm glad about - no one has used the words arrogant and irrelevant on me again. I live easier vindicated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home