Sunday, January 30, 2005

Hey, i'm 21 already?

This has been one tiring week. I've been working for long drawn out days until Thursday, when i did a practical paper on an attack assignment. Days end late, and the work load was tremendous, but somehow my tutorial group's morale was still high. We were bonding rather fast with each passing day, largely because no one tried playing rank, and we all enjoy good laughs and long runs in the nights after work. I was so busy that i almost forgot that my birthday was on Saturday, that is until i was pleasantly surprised by a message from my dearest Marie, asking me out to celebrate my birthday with me. That was so touching, considering the thought that half of my folks back home wouldn't even remember when i was born! Yes - that's my dull and boring Ah Pa.

I did tried to cue him in on what's going on on Sunday - my sis is planning a family lunch to celebrate the occasion at Marche - but he simply shot me back: "Whose birthday? What birthday lunch? You are always wasting money. You're gonna buy gifts again right? Don't waste money on these things. They are not worthed it!"

Just listen to him! It's horrible! He remains so mightily ignorant year after year! i can't remember if he had successfully recalled anyone's birthday saved for his own. Enough about him. He and me just aren't compatible as father and son, which is really upsetting.

So it was on a friday evening, after a rewarding debrief session and wonderful dinner in the mess, that Marie and me went out for supper at Chomp Chomp. And guess what? The whole damn time i was wearing my shirt in-side out! HAHA =P It was even more hilarious that no-one noticed it; largely because it was black i guess. I came to know only after i saw the linings on my shoulder, and felt the size tag behind my neck. It was damn embarrassing!

She was so sweet for she brought me so many presents: There was a blackcurrant/strawberry pie, completed with a small candle; two roches [because she ate one =P]; a red New World Order T-shirt and a small card! Supper chat revolved around the news of Anqi's marriage, which, as expected, came as a surprise for her. And no wonder, for Anqi's only 20, which is unusual in the S'porean context i guess. Vanessa's right in pointing out the fact that 20 is an acceptable wedding age in many countries, and i've got to agree to that. The shackles of tradition have to be broken somewhat, now that we are progressing down the line of a first world country. But still, this issue opened much space for speculation and moral debate between the two of us. The whole shotgun marriage concept is a rare issue for all our mutual friends, naturally demanding considerable attention.

Then today came along and my family went out for lunch, after my dad finally realised whose birthday it was yesterday . It was suppose to be at Marche but Ah Pa didn't like the idea of Western food and expensive lunches and long travelling time, so he changed the location to an AMK seafood stall, only to realise that it wasn't open. Regardless, we just ordered in a la carte style. In between the arrival of dishes, while mom and Junqi [my sis' BF] were happily paying for the orders, Ah Pa blurted out: "Eh, i thought you [ME] are gonna pay? I thought you said you are gonna treat us?"

I was like what??!?!?!

That's too much man. My devil blasted out the truth that b'day dudes are usually given treats. Then guess what Ah Pa said.

"I paid for my own birthday dinner last year!"

I looked at my sis, who had, together with me, financed that particular meal and shook my head. "We paid for that meal Papa."

"Your money is my money."

What can we say? He is ALWAYS such a mood spoiler. I then made up my mind - i'm never gonna be like my dad when i grow up. Hey, i'm 21 already? Damn, it looks like i'm already grown up! Ok, i'm just not like my dad, and that's something i'm glad for - totally disrespectful, but you don't know Ah Pa like i do, so know your role Jabroni, and shut your damn mouth.

1 Comments:

At 6:02 AM, Blogger Me said...

Bro ,

29 Jan - 21 years old....HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAN!!!
And dont worry bout ah-pa k, no point being negative, your 21 now man, its time you lived out of his shadow! Bro, damn proud of u man, its been a pleasure to know you for 8 years already!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home