Saturday, January 22, 2005

Muggzz! Muggzz?

I never quite expect military studies to be so tough. Just one week into CTC and i'm already feeling the strain. The course is so very challenging, kinda reminds me of my JC econs classes; alot of notes taking, tonnes of self reading and paradigm shifts, yet simply a matter of common sense. One difference will be the talc cutting and drawing. We can easily drain half a giant roll of talc in a few hours! Which is why many would rather call the Company Tactics Course - CTC - the ' cut talc ' course.

The days in our tutorial rooms, or syndicate rooms as they are called, are also superbly long; 2300 hrs is almost always the optimist's hour of ending each day of class. That's why it's good to have a comfortable bunk to chill in after a hard day's work. Personally, i think staying in for courses are extremely beneficial; i can maintain my fitness, study at my own pace and stay undistracted for long periods of time as there are not many temptations [internet and TV etc] around.

What else did i do this week? Umm, played some soccer, injured someone in the process too. =P i think i'm very prone to injuries, giving others injuries i mean. People out there must be careful of me when i get a soccerball at my feet, or when you get one at yours. Hehe.

Keeping fit on course is such a challenge. With that kind of packed schedule, my butt's so sore from the constant sitting and discussions. It's so hard to even get out there for some running. I think i'm really not suitable for a desk job, and all that sitting makes me really irritated. I had to regularly stand up and walk around, eat sweets, talk cock etc. The toilet's my next hangout place after the syndicate room i figured. That's where i do all my stretching and freshening up. Since the start of this course, late nights are no longer a feature of my life. It's knock off at 0000hrs sharp everynight.

Drawing talc is one aspect that helps in placating the side-effects of intense learning i guess. Seeing a plan projecting right out of what i've drawn is rather exciting! But of course, walking on the ground itself is another matter all together. Poor men of the infantry always have to do the long walks and dirty works. That is why we must always consider our subordinates when planning. The simplest plan will usually yield the most dividends.

Sometimes we all get too defensive of our own ideas and plans. People fall in love with their own creations too credulously, then frantically try to fight others off. I must agree, i'm describing myself to a certain extent, less the fight bit. =P Many on the course have the same mentality. Some with the fight bit and others not so much. But I realized that being the Best in the world means that someone has got to lose for me to win. Why so when i can be the Best for the world? Give people a chance to say their piece, i'm no paragorn man - i don't have all the answers. Someone will have the better answers to my questions, so i need to listen. But where i do have a strength, i should share. Then we can all be winners in our small sense. Easy saying huh, but the class discussions do help me in conducting some frequent self-reflections. And i can safely say that i can now shift my mental models with more flexibility than before. But sometimes it takes two hands to clap. When someone's an inert with a bad temper - like my dad - i find it a real challenge to not to display my displeasure. Sigh, there are still many differences to resolve between the two of us. One day i'll attain personal mastery, and that will be the day when my dad and i gain our common understanding.

I'll tell you, this is one good course that you should attend too. It'll cost you a bomb outside to simply learn what has been taught in a day. With all those hands on training and different levels of insights that i'm getting, I feel as if i'm getting ready for the world after army with each learning day. It's a fantastic feeling!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home