Sunday, October 23, 2005

The most emotional question

Have you ever met a question that just makes your mind wander into the past? I just met one:

Have you ever taken a risk that you now know was the right thing to do?

I journeyed at least 5 years into the past, evoking one of the most emotional story that I can ever tell:

I took a risk to change my sport from rugby to canoeing in year 2000, the year of graduation from my secondary school – Raffles Institution. I was the captain of the school’s rugby team and a national rugby representative at that time, and obviously, the decision was a difficult one to make. As the leader of my team and a senior to three batches of lower secondary level rugby players, I ought to have continued playing the sport when I move on to higher level education at Raffles Junior College (RJC). However, due to unforeseen circumstances, I was forced to make an important choice – to continue with competitive rugby or not.

The catalyst for this decision was the fracturing of my left ankle in the dying minutes of the national schools rugby semi-finals in year 2000. Although my team won the match and advanced to the final, I was sidelined on my crutches for the last match of my four years rugby stint. I watched in horror as my team lost, once again, in the final. Following the final whistle, the team received its fourth silver medal. It was a heartbreaking defeat because everyone had put in tremendous efforts throughout the season in hope of a earning a final victory. The loss was particularly painful for me as the team could have done better if only I was available to convert the kicks. However, all I could do was watch and cheer on the bench, albeit in constant agony.

As my ankle recuperates on the hospital bed, I pondered upon my future with competitive rugby. Three salient questions begged to be answered. The first one is, ‘Is rugby my niche sport?’ The answer will be an obvious no. Four years of runners-up positions in rugby school finals will be valid proof. However, I am not ready to give up hope that Raffles Rugby will not rise again to be national champions. Hence, the second question is, ‘Can I attain a national gold with my team?’ The answer to this question came from my orthopaedic surgeon. He revealed that the hairline cracks in my left fibula are susceptible to recurring fractures. Furthermore, a second fracture will condemn me to a wheelchair for the rest of my life. Therefore, he advised me not to continue with competitive rugby. In other words, I will not be able to perform as well on the rugby field as before. In fact, I might prove to be a liability should I injure myself once more. As a result, the final question is, ‘If I am to drop rugby, what other sports can I play, and expect success in, without risking my injury?’ The answer lies in a water sport, such as canoeing.

Although the decision to switch sports was made, other circumstances will have to be considered as well. Indeed, RJC was my preferred junior college as most of my secondary school friends will be studying there. Furthermore, it offers both a great curriculum and canoeing. However, as the captain of Raffles Rugby, it is impossible for me to ignore my yearning to return to the team. In addition, I do not wish for my injury to be a liability to the team. Therefore, a more drastic change has to occur. With that in mind, I decided to sever all ties with Raffles Rugby and the Raffles Tradition, and enrolled myself into Hwa Chong Junior College.

As risky as this decision might be, it was a challenge that I was willing to undertake since a new environment heralds new possibilities, not just risks and losses. My past successes should not confine me to history but arm me for the future. Subsequently, I followed through with my plan and picked up canoeing with only one thing in mind – to win the national gold that has eluded me for the past four years.

After two years of intensive training and numerous competitions, my decision and efforts finally paid off. I garnered two bronze medals for Singapore, my country, in the South East Asian Canoeing Championships and won my first national level race. In addition, I was awarded the national and school colours for my achievements.

To conclude, I took a risk to change a sport and leave my social and academic comfort zone; however, I emerged stronger. I now know that I can adapt to any situation, and that knowledge has boosted my confidence, making me a stronger person. In retrospect, I am glad that I took the risk and did not hide behind security.

2 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger iNspIrAtionAl said...

This blog should be published into a book someday...

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Karl G. said...

Excellent blog post. I see where u r coming frm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home