Sunday, August 07, 2005

That Retirement Feeling.

Whoa, 6 weeks flew right by man! My time at SINSALES has come to an end. Last day was spent at this advertising firm called BateyRed Cell - the company made famous for their invaluable contribution in creating the SIA Girl.

I found advertising rather fun! But of course, there are tonnes of work involved - the reason why the turnover rate is so high. Consider this: an ad person in an ad company for a year is like 10 years in a company like SIA! The reason: there are alway ALWAYS impossible deadlines to meet and demanding customers (Yes, like the senior management in SIA) to please. Hard work, long nights, fake smiles all contribute to an incredible turnover rate. But advertising is still very fun, especially if a beautiful ad was a hit with the market. That is, if it is beautiful and if it is a hit.
Maybe i'll get myself in the Marketing and Communication Department on my next attachment to get a feel of the bigger picture.

I went for a seminar on a Low Cost Carrier (LCC) rival called Air Asia, heard before? Ah, if not, it's because it's such a successful budget airline in Malaysia, Brunei, Thailand and Indonesia that it was barred flights into and exiting Singapore. Some protectionism eh? But the plan here is to develop our very own successful budget airline model before opening up to keen industrial rivals. There's a point there, which equates to the fact that we have to build up a solid budget airline company, and build it fast. Because from the zest and determination demonstrated by the exuberant and charismatic CEO of Air Asia on Thursday, Air Asia is going to be the cause for a huge shake up in the regional airline industry, if it isn't already a big enough competitor. From a company that's worthed RM$1 with USD 40m of debt, to a debtless and USD4.2b market cap company in 5 years is no mean feat boy. This, coupled with a maverick style of management, makes Air Asia the new kid on the block to look out for.

Before i left the department for good, i submitted a powerpoint presentation on Air Asia, while sounding off some alarms and suggesting some ideas to fight back. But, as the saying goes, 'a man's meat is another's poison.' My opinions remained strictly as my own.

Nonetheless, i put in my final effort at finishing up whatever that i'm doing before taking my leave. Before leaving, i went around exchanging my self-made name card with my colleagues. Why self-made? That's because interns are not given name cards. Our time there is simply too short to justify the investment. Some of my colleagues were gracious enough to pass me their numbers while others were less willing. Too bad, i've got good things on offer, but only for those who want it, and trust me as a friend and person. Heh

I was a little nostalgic before leaving, but after walking out of the building, i actually felt so relieved boy. You wouldn't believe how good it feels to walk out on a job! I'm going to do just that at age 45, if not earlier. It's that retirement feeling man, and it feels good, if only for a few hours. Why man, it's back to school, and i will study hard so that i won't let myself down. I've come so far, there's no turning back now. But that retirement feeling is good boy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home