Sunday, July 31, 2005

Office Politics

Sometimes, the reality bites. Who really believes that the office is a positive place? Who really believes that your fellow colleagues want you to succeed in whatever you do? Who really thinks that there is a workplace without politics? If you say, 'I do.' Boy aren't you in for a shock.

A good boss nowadays is really, really very hard to come by. It's amazing how intimidating that little man who holds the key to your salary increments can be. And it's no part his fault, it's all in the minds of the employees. Of course, a bossy, loud, vulgar and unappreciative deputy boss doesn't help the situation either.

Everyone comes to work neither greeting one another nor acknowledging the presence of others in the office. I suppose they've saw enough of each other throughout the years. The only thing worth talking about is some lame personal tales or traumatic news that came on the papers or TV. A whole lot of mockery and pessimism will ensue, and everyone will shake their heads and get back to work. Negative is indeed automatic. Negative takes little effort and always catches attention. Praises are hard to come by and genuine shows of care and concern are even more rare. Since the office is such an unhappy place, why work? But day after day, the people come to work. They simply cannot imagine a life without that steady inflow of cash on a paycheck. Their very lives depended on it.

That, my friend, is the corporate space; the rat race; the larger society shrunk into a microcosm called 'the office'. Have i spent 12 years, and 4 more years to come, of studies to endure this for the next 40 years? I think not. I've got to retire by the age of 45! I've got to find a nice quiet place where i can write my book in peace. I've got to see the mountains again, scale that height, see the sunrise on the peak among the peaks in Nepal again. I've got to stand on stage once more, acting out the stories of the characters that i've created in my plays. I've got to do what i really really like to do in Life!

Man, i've only worked for 5 weeks!

Just imagine, I've got another 336 more of this 5 week attachments to go in my life, should i work till age 65. I think i might just throw up. In fact, my head's spinning a little now.

The world shouldn't be like this; my life shouldn't be like this. What have i got left at age 65? A little pension, some retirement cards, an ailing body, a semi-senile mind? But what have i done for the past 40 years? Make someone else rich? Restrict my standard of living to the size of my paycheck and lost my drive to achieve my dreams ? Definitely not for me boy.

So, what's the solution? I think Robert Kiyosaki is right to point out that there are 4 ways of earning a living - being employed, self-employed, run a business and invest wisely.

The former two are purely jobs for me. Jobs are to be defined as means of earning a living by trading my time for money.

The latter two are simply businesses. That refers to means of earning a living without me being physically there to work my ass off. But without a start up capital, businesses are hard to begin. Sometimes the barriers to entry are really formidable. The stats are stacked against those who think that conventional businesses cannot fumble financially. Breaking even is so difficult, most shops simply close down after a couple of years in business.

So, i still have to work, at least for a good decade or so, before something can be done about businesses and investments? I don't think so.

There are some businesses that are really easy to startup, but as like all good businesses, they require time and effort initially. A certain degree of investments has to be made in educational materials and programs as well.

Investments are getting cheaper nowadays - just $1000 and you're set for an investment account. Subsequent smaller investments can be made at regular periods to average out the losses, as markets are on a generally rising trend. But if you're a new investor, always do your homework and consult more than 3 professional financial planners first. Don't act smart with your retirement money. Once they are gone, they are GONE! Recuperating what's gone is always an uphill task.

Time is money. Start young and with time on my side, I know success will arrive. It's just a matter of time. The big questions - Who to trust, what to buy, where to get, how to start, when to go in? The last question has one very simple answer - If not now, when?

I believe if you really want it bad enough, you will find out that there are so many avenues of help out there. The question of all questions, 'Do you want it bad enough?' If not me, who?

Some are really just happy sitting at their desks, day after day. Slogging away for that paycheck. That's their personal choice. But i'm telling you, everyone can be wealthy. We can all be much better off in life. It's just a question of choice. We have one gift, and one gift alone. That's the freedom of choice.

Seriously, you have to be in an office to find out how bad the politics can get. If not you'll always have an employee mentality and think that being employed is all fine and dainty. Don't get me wrong, having a decent job is a respectable trade. But people, just think of the kind of prolonged mental, emotional and physical stresses that you have to go through just to make ends meet. I'd rather work smart for a good decade or so, and have money take care of itself.

I want to be chased by money. I think being forced into early retirement is kind of nice. How about you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home