Sunday, August 14, 2005

Self Talk/Thought Power

I was just talking to myself. In fact, i frequently talk to myself. You may find that strange, but there are times that I just look at myself in the mirror and talk, like to an old friend or something.

I think that as i age, i do more and more self-talk. I need plenty of self-motivation to stay true to myself. There are tonnes of negativity out there and i have often felt overwhelmed by them. People old and young come up with their personal problems and experiences, most of them uniquely distressing, and rarely pleasant or encouraging. How did they get this way? Where did all the negativity come from? I think they came from their submission to failures.

Most of these folks are common people like you and me. From the surface, you can never figure out that something so wrong is happening to them. But through further probes and understanding, they will reveal to you their deepest problems and worries; almost all stemmed from the fear of failures. Fear of losing money, time and effort, emotional attachments, feeling of being appreciated, authority etc. Upon meeting failures, most will crawl back into their comfort zones and whine there, then get up and live back that old life after submitting to defeats.

Then they would tell others, "Don't even try, cause i've been there, done that. You will only suffer and fail." That simple sentence reeks of nothing but passivity and a sense of helplessness. What happened to the 'can do' spirit of a child? If infants can understand that sentence before they contemplate their first step, no one will be walking now! We will all be at home rolling around. There will be no more sidewalks but side 'crawls'. Luckily we learnt how to walk before we can talk.

I'm currently on a mission - to change myself. I have had enough of passivity and cynicism. I've figured out that if i want those detrimental emotions to disappear from my life, i have to actively change the way i see the world and speak my thoughts. I will talk nothing but positive happenings and compliment every fact worth praising in everyone and everything. That is no sucking up because complimenting others is the first step in making new friends and changing my own attitude about life. I'm offering anyone 50 cents if they can catch me sprouting a phrase of complaint, criticism and condemnation. The first step to change what i don't like about others is to change everything i don't like about myself.

In life, it's not what you know that is important. It's what you read, who you associate yourself with, how you spend your free time and what is your attitude that make a difference. You can be very smart, but there are actually no correlations between financial success and education level in this capitalistic society. You can be a genius in the lecture room but a fool in a boardroom, or a high flyer in rank but a crippled in the bank. As a matter of fact, the more educated you are, the higher are your opportunity costs of doing anything else except for what you're good at, and the more you're likely to get stuck in the Rat Race for money and time. So if a Ph.d is what you're geared up for, you might want to reconsider that fact.

That why i always talk to myself whenever i find myself sinking into the mood to whine and give up/give in. I look myself hard in the mirror and i say this to myself, 'You are the Best, and you deserve the Best! And because you are the Best, you follow only the Best! What would Lincoln say to this? What would Robert Kiyosaki say to this? What would Zig Ziglar say to this?' Although i'm not really well-off now, but i think like a millionaire do, like a successful motivational speaker do, like a leader of leader do. Why? Because they are the best; and i can and will be the best too.

You will be surprised that the most fundamental value that these people share is, 'i was born stupid, and i'm still stupid.' So I have to learn, unlearn and relearn. I have to improve, improve, improve. I have to challenge my own comfort zone. I have to self-talk and self-reflect. I have to know myself and master myself. Once i can do that, there is nothing that i cannot achieve.

You see, everyone is given one gift, and one gift alone; that is the ability to make a choice. Everything that the mind can conceive, and believe, it can achieve. It can do so, because we are gifted with the ability to make a choice - to do it, or not. If you want something, and you really want it so badly, you will plan and choose your next move. And when you put thoughts into actions, the thing that comes back at you will blow your mind.

And that's the power of self-talk/thought.

1 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger iNspIrAtionAl said...

Good article. Pls publish a book about this...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home